What to Look for in Environmentally Friendly Air Conditioners:
- The right size unit for your home. Not every air conditioning system is ideal for every home. If the unit is too small, it will have to work too hard, costing you more on your utility bill and putting more of a drain on non-renewable energy sources than necessary. And it still won’t provide the most efficient cooling. If the unit is too large, you may waste both energy and money. Plus, the harder your system has to work the more drain it will place on non-renewable energy sources. Hamilton Home Comfort can help you decide which air conditioner is best for your needs—and the planet.
- Cost-effectiveness. When looking for the most cost-effective option, among other things, you’ll want to factor in what type of thermostat comes with your air conditioning unit. A system that includes a programmable thermostat can save you a significant amount of money. There’s no need to keep your home overly cool during the day if everyone is away. Still, you’ll want it comfortable when you return from work or school. A programmable thermostat allows you to save money by maintaining the optimum temperature with minimal effort. A well-maintained air conditioning system can cool your home for more than a dozen years. Save money. Save energy resources. Save on unnecessary waste.
- Reduced risks. Purchasing a new central air conditioning system will not only reduce the risks to the environment; it will reduce the risks to your health and safety. If you have an outdated unit, there is a much higher likelihood that unwanted pollutants will make their way into your home, putting you and your family at risk of developing numerous health concerns. Those with pre-existing conditions will be at even higher risk. Because components of older units are more likely to wear out, your air conditioner may overheat and cause a house fire, a tragedy that puts your family and property in danger. Purchasing a new unit will set your mind at ease for several reasons.
- Benefits of high-end air conditioners. The least expensive units are not necessarily the most cost-effective nor are they the most environmentally friendly. Higher-end models have a higher SEER rating, which is good for the environment—and for lowering your monthly utilities bills as compared to units with a lower SEER rating. While it’s important to get an air conditioner with a high SEER rating, you’ll also want to purchase a unit that has a low dB level. Many high-end air conditioners have a rating of 60-65 dB, just slightly louder than normal conversation. In addition, these models come with the best warranties available, giving you the assurance that the manufacturers stand behind their products.
- Professional counsel. When you’re considering buying an air conditioner, it’s important to get professional advice you can trust. We at Hamilton Home Comfort can help you choose the right energy-efficient air conditioner for your home, your budget, and the environment, one that will keep you cool and give you peace of mind for years to come.
- Professional installation and servicing. Installation by qualified professionals is as important as choosing the right system. We have you covered in this regard. And when it’s time for servicing your air conditioner, our technicians will do all that can be done to get the unit running as it should be quickly and efficiently. Regular professional maintenance will keep your system operating efficiently for the long haul.
Hamilton Home Comfort carries several eco-friendly air conditioners. Among them, models from York, Goodman, and Lennox.
York’s LX Series split system air conditioners fit your needs with efficient models that reduce your utility bills. Coil options include an advanced MicroChannel coil for a smaller environmental footprint and a proven tube-in-fin coil with enhanced aluminum fins mechanically bonded to copper tubing.
The unit’s up to 17 SEER cooling efficiency saves approximately 41 cents per dollar versus an older 10 SEER system. Its reliable operation has been proven in York’s extreme, 5-year accelerated test facility. There are both single- and three-phase models available (TCG). The York YCG is made from the improved alloy, MicroChannel Coil, which provides more performance while taking up less space.
The York YCD has a 13 SEER cooling efficiency, which saves approximately 23 cents per dollar versus an older 10 SEER system. The unit is optimized for Northern USA and Canadian climates. Like the York YCG, there are both single- and 3-phase models available (TCD), and the unit’s reliable operation has been proven in York’s extreme, 5-year accelerated test facility. The York YCD is also made from the improved alloy, MicroChannel Coil, which provides more performance in less space.
Cool your home quietly with this high-efficiency unit. The Goodman brand GSX16 air conditioner will provide you with reliable cooling and money-saving energy efficiency levels as compared to lower SEER air conditioning units. The higher the unit’s efficiency, the better for you, your bank account, and the environment.
Quiet and efficient, the GSX13 is built with sound-dampening features that help ensure that your cooling system doesn’t interfere with a good night’s sleep. Quiet operation is just one of the many benefits of newer air conditioning models.
The EL16XC1 is built to perform and save energy. With efficiency ratings of up to 17.00 SEER, it can help save you hundreds of dollars every year on your utility bills, compared to older units. It may even help you qualify for energy rebates.
The Lennox XC21
The XC21 unit comes with iComfort®-enabled technology which lets you use your programmable iComfort Wi-Fi touchscreen thermostat and will optimize the efficiency and performance of the XC21.
Upgrading to an Eco-Friendly Air Conditioner
Even if your older air conditioning system is still working well, it may be time to upgrade.
No More Freon
Older models used the coolant Freon, also known as R22, which has proven damaging to the environment and is banned by law. R410A is a new type of refrigerant that is free of harmful hydrofluorocarbons, which deplete the earth’s ozone layer. Twenty-first-century technology, improvements in manufacturing, and stricter laws ensure that you and your family can stay cool in the winter while caring for the planet for generations to come.
Reduced Drain on Non-Renewable Sources of Energy
An updated air conditioning unit will require a significant financial investment. However, it’s just that, an investment. Replacing an older unit with a newer, more efficient one has many benefits, including reducing your utility bills—and decreasing the drain on non-renewable energy resources.
The higher the SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio/Rating), the more energy-efficient the unit. Think of it as the cooling output of your air conditioner compared to the energy required to run the unit. The higher the SEER, the better—for your bank account and the environment.
Many environmentally friendly air conditioners come with programmable thermostats. Ensure that your home is cool when you come home from work without having to leave the AC on all day. Set the ideal temperature for 24/7 comfort—and energy savings.
Ease of Maintenance
Older air conditioning units may require outdated parts, making them more difficult to repair and less likely to run safely and efficiently. The electrical wiring can also deteriorate over time. If these air conditioners are not well maintained, they can overheat and could cause a fire.
Upgrading to an eco-friendly air conditioner will put your mind at ease for several reasons. They are easier to maintain and repair. Plus, you, your family, and your home will be safer. A new air conditioner will minimize the risk of fire and several health concerns.
Bacteria, fungi, and pollen can build up over time in older air conditioners, as these units are not as well protected from the elements. Rain plus hot temperatures is the perfect combination for the growth of bacteria. If there is a significant buildup, these unwanted pollutants will find their way into your home and could make you, your family, and even your pets sick.
An eco-friendly air conditioner benefits the environment outside and inside the walls of your home. A well-maintained, high-end air conditioner can reduce the allergens in the air as well as create an inhospitable environment for insects and parasites. Asthmatics will breathe easier. Allergy sufferers will find relief. And everyone can enjoy the peace of mind that comes from living in a home where insects and parasites can’t thrive.
An eco-friendly air conditioning system also benefits your four-legged friends. Just like people, pets—particularly cats, dogs, rabbits, etc.—don’t do well if they get overheated. Unbearably hot days can drain your energy and leave you lethargic. The same is true of your pets. Plus, insects and parasites can be particularly problematic for your furry friends.
Avoid Sick Building Syndrome
Symptoms of Sick Building Syndrome include fatigue, skin irritation, nasal congestion, and headaches and can occur because of a buildup of airborne microorganisms in the building’s air conditioning system. If your home has a buildup of these pollutants, you may develop one or more of these symptoms. And those with pre-existing issues are more likely to suffer the effects.
Eco-friendly central air conditioners will help you avoid Sick Building Syndrome. With so many potential risks to your health wherever you go, you want your home to be one of the safest places you can be.
Peace and Quiet
Newer air conditioners are manufactured to run far more quietly, some just slightly louder than the volume of conversation. This appeals to those who work from home, value the quiet, yet want to stay cool during the spring and summer months. A quiet AC unit also allows for a more restful sleep, particularly important for the light sleepers.
Maintaining the Ideal Temperature
Like Goldilocks’s porridge, you may find the temperature in your home is too hot or too cold if you have an older air conditioning unit. Because these models are more likely to break down, it will be difficult to maintain a temperature that is just right. Plus, there’s the added cost of more frequent repairs. Upgrading will save you aggravation, discomfort—and money.
Many new central air conditioners come with programmable thermostats. In this way, you can maintain the ideal temperature in your home day and night. Better for you. Better for the environment.
When you decide it’s time to discuss purchasing an eco-friendly air conditioner, it’s important to choose the right company, one that wants what’s best for you and the environment.
At Hamilton Home Comfort, we strive to make the installation process of a new air conditioner as seamless as possible and do everything we can to ensure it’s a positive experience. When you make an appointment with us, we respect your time and show up as scheduled. Throughout the installation process, we work professionally and treat your home as if it’s our own. At the end of the installation, we ensure that there is no mess left behind, and we can take away your old unit.
Hamilton Home Comfort sells some of the best performing, most energy-efficient air conditioning units you can find anywhere. In addition, our excellent warranty ensures that choosing Hamilton Home Comfort to install your air conditioner is the right choice.
Ongoing maintenance will keep your eco-friendly central air conditioning system running optimally for years, which will keep down your utility bills and put less strain on the environment. That’s why it’s important to keep up with a regular maintenance schedule. Based on the unit you own, our technicians can recommend a schedule to help you keep your unit running at its best and to prevent minor problems from becoming costly repairs. We provide maintenance for all makes and models of air conditioners.
If you live in Hamilton, Grimsby, Binbrook, Stoney Creek, Burlington or Ancaster and would like to discuss upgrading to an eco-friendly air conditioning system, contact Hamilton Home Comfort.
Visit: 335 Fruitland Rd, Stoney Creek, ON L8E 5M8